• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland





    According to Polish Passport Act of 28th of August 2006 and obligation of scanning fingerprints, an application for a new passport must be submitted in person.
    The passport application form is available at the Consulate only.  The form is not available for download due to required specification of the paper weight and size.


    List of the required documents:

    1. The most recent Polish passport issued after the year 1996
    2. PESEL number i.e. Polish National Identification Number
    3. Document confirming personal data (Polish birth and marriage certificate if born/married outside of Poland)
    4. One passport photo
    5. For minors (children): a valid Polish Passport or Polish Identity Card of one or both parents. Both parents and a child over the age of 5 must be present when applying for passport
    6. Passport fee
    The waiting time for Biometric Passport is about 6-8 weeks.


    If you don't have Polish passport, one of the following documents must be submitted:

    1. Polish ID (dowód osobisty)
    2. Confirmation of having Polish citizenship issued by the Provincial Governor in Poland (Wojewoda)    
    3. President's decision of granting Polish citizenship

    If you don't have Polish vital records certificate:

    A foreign birth or marriage certificate must be registered at the Registry Office in Poland  (Urząd Stanu Cywilnego) 


    Biometric Passport is valid:

    - for children under 13 years of age for 5 years

    - for others for 10 years
    It is possible to obtain the Temporary Passport valid 1 year while waiting for Biometric Passport.




    Biometric 10-year passport - $132
    Biometric 5-year passport for children only - $42
    Temporary passport while waiting for Biometric passport - $18
    In lieu of the lost Polish passport - $396


    Reduced payment is taken from:


    Pupils and students up to 26 years old, a student card must be shown - $66
    Pensioners and veterans who present a proper and valid Polish card or pension receipt - $66
    For persons over 70 years of age - free of charge

    At the Consulate Office fees can be paid by "money order" or "cashier's check", issued to "The Embassy of Poland" and in cash.

    During consular outreaches only by "money order" or "cashier's check" issued to "The Embassy of Poland."


    IMPORTANT: Personal Checks are not accepted.


    Ustawa z dnia 13 lipca 2006 r. o dokumentach paszportowych ( Dz. U. z 2006 r. Nr 143, poz.1027, zm.: Dz. U. z 2008r., Nr 32, poz. 192, Dz. U. z 2009r., Nr 69, poz. 595, Dz. U. z 2009r. Nr 95, poz. 791, Dz. U. z 2010r. Nr 8, poz. 51),

    Rozporządzenie Ministra Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji z dnia 16 sierpnia 2010 r. w sprawie dokumentów paszportowych ( Dz. U. 2010 r. Nr 152, poz. 1026),

    Rozporządzenie Rady Ministrów z dnia 09 lutego 2010r. w sprawie opłat za wydanie dokumentu paszportowego oraz ich zwrotu ( Dz. U. z 2010 r. Nr 25 poz. 126 ).




    Very recent with neutral face expression, taken within the last 6 months, done in front (en face), with closed mouth, with open eyes, without a hat or dark glasses, not covered with hair.

    Color with high quality paper, clear withe background. 




    Photo in glasses - the eyes must be clearly visible, edge lenses and frames may not cover the eyes, the lenses of glasses may not be reflective

    The picture with the glasses with dark lenses - please submit the relevant certificate of disability,

    Photo with covered head - permitted only for religious reasons, upon the certificate of membership of a religious community registered in the Poland. Even in such cases the whole face (from chin to the end face) must be clearly visible.




    A Polish passport may be obtained only by a citizen of the Republic of Poland.

    Submission of an application for a 10-year passport and a temporary passport shall be done in person.

    Currently, it is also possible to apply for a passport at any consular post.

    Collection of the passport shall also be in person. In special circumstances, especially with restricted access to a consular post, a consul may waive this rule on the basis of a written request of the person applying for the passport (request template). However, in this case, the passport authority shall not be liable for any errors in the production of the document.


    PESEL number


    In order to submit the passport application, you must have a PESEL numer. People without this number may also apply for a PESEL and passport simultaneously. The consul will act on behalf of the PESEL number applicant. No fee is charged for this step. To obtain a PESEL, Polish state-granted certificates (birth certificate, marriage certificate) and an identity document will be required. Foreign birth certificates require prior registered in the proper registry office in Poland (see: registering foreign state certificates in Poland).

    Persons applying for a passport in the name changed due to marriage abroad submit a Polish copy of the marriage (see: registering foreign state certificates in Poland).


    Passports for minors


    An application for a minor's passport has to be submitted by both parents. In particularly justified cases, an application for a passport to the minor can be made by one of the parents, with the written consent of the other parent, containing the confirmation of the signature by the passport authority (a consul, governor) or a notary public. It is required that at least one parent has a major Polish identity document (passport or identity card). A minor over the age of 5 years has to be present when submitting an application for the passport document. Fingerprints are collected from minors who are at least 12 years of age.


    Passport photos


    Passport photo measuring 3.5 cm by 4.5 cm, should be taken within the last six months on a plain white background , having good focus, showing clearly the eyes and face from both sides from the top of the head to the top of the shoulders , so that the face occupies 70 -80% of the photo; The person in the photograph should not be wearing a hat or dark glasses, and you should be looking straight ahead with your eyes open, not covered by hair, with a natural facial expression and your mouth closed .


    Passport fees


    Consular fee may be paid in cash, money order, cashier's check or certified check written out to the Embassy of Poland (personal checks are not accepted) – see: consular fees .

    Print Print Share: